I picked up two of these barrel chairs for a very good price a couple of months ago.
I cleaned them up, applied a little deglosser, then spray painted them Rustoleum’s Heirloom White. And I was left with this:
The next and much dreaded step was to update the cushions. I decided to just cover over the old cushions so they would remain in tact for the next owner should they like it. I did an ok job, but I’m sure I would have gotten poor marks in sewing. But let’s face it. I’m not a sewer. I sew straight lines, can’t use a pattern, no complicated additions like zippers, no piping…just the very very basics.
The closure, or shall I say lack there of, is the dicey part. But it’s hidden in the back and I figured my price would reflect substandard seamstress work.
There are actually 2 cushions in each chair. I covered the top cushion, and made a blanket of sorts to cover the bottom cushion. I added ribbon along the bottom pleats to hold it all together.
I had a couple of pillow forms laying around so I sewed (straight lines right up my alley) up a couple of pillows to dress up these chairs (and a few others I have at Liberty Belle). I got my image from the Graphics Fairy and used the Citrasolv transfer method to get the image on the fabric.
Looking at the above photo, I see I should have adjusted the pleating before taking the shot. Oh well, the gum wrapper on the floor doesn’t look so good either 😉
The chairs have gone on to a new home. I loved the finished product, but don’t think I’ll be doing anything this complicated again.
Linking up to: Miss Mustard Seed’s Furniture Feature Friday