Recently I’ve seen a couple of blogs with concrete eggs. I thought they were so cute that I must try them. It was a messy project, but I love the results. Here’s how to make your own concrete eggs.
You will need plastic Easter eggs, some Pam, cement (you don’t want anything with rocks), water, egg cartons, glue and twine.
I highly advise protecting your work area with plastic. This is a messy project. Cut your eggs apart so they are no longer connected. Spray both halves with Pam.
Mix up your cement. I liked it a little on the watery side so it would pour out of the container rather than having to actually scoop it into the egg. I only mixed up enough cement to make about 5 or 6 eggs at a time. I must have been using a quick set up cement because the first few eggs poured out easily, while the last ones we had to actually scoop into the egg.
Not only was it easier to fill the eggs by pouring the cement in, I think it resulted in fewer air bubbles. After pouring (or scooping) the cement into the egg, gently tap the egg to try to remove any air bubbles. A note of caution when filling the eggs, if there is any kind of lip inside the egg, don’t fill it all the way to the top or you may have to cut the shell off once the egg sets up. I learned the hard way.
I placed the eggs in the egg carton and left them until they were dry. Once dry we removed the eggs from the molds. There were a couple of high spots on some of the eggs so my daughter filed the high spots down.
Glue the 2 halves together and set aside to dry.
The next step is to decorate as desired. Some eggs I painted with a little watered down paint. Other eggs were waxed with furniture wax and the rest of the eggs were left alone.
The final step is to wrap with twine, string, or whatever suits your fancy.
To make the nest, I purchased some grapevine wreaths from Hobby Lobby. I cut them apart and shaped into a semi-nest shape and added moss to fill in the holes.
I picked up this cute bucket at an antique store for $2.00 a couple of months ago. I don’t know if it is old, but I can say that it is a sturdy bucket…not like the cheap ones. I stuffed paper in the bottom, then put a square of burlap in there. I tied the edges of the burlap down with twine and filled it with the nest and eggs.
This last photo is taken atop a furniture project I hope to be finishing up this week.
Unfortunately of the 24 eggs my daughter and I made, my sister took 12 of them. I suppose 12 is enough. I would like to locate some small plastic Easter egg molds to go with the medium and large sized ones.
I’m linking up to Funky Junk’s Saturday Nite Special.